The perfect Trek & Summit for the first timer, come and fall in love with the mountains for ever. The most popular Winter Trek
The kind of views that the Kedarkantha Trek in Uttarakhand, with a max altitude of 12,500 ft, gives you will stick with you for life, it takes you through some of the most remote and unknown places in India with the clearest views of snow-capped mountain peaks, frozen ponds, and verdant valleys.
The diverse flora and fauna that thrives in this region will not be found anywhere else in the world. The campsites are placed in the most beautiful locations amongst the pine trees and babbling brooks.
Juda Ka Talab, a semi-frozen lake, is a place worth mentioning for its beauty that we will be encountering on the trek.
This is one of the best snow trekking destinations in India. Not mention the kind of lore that surrounds it. It is said that after the war when the Pandavas went to the Himalayas to seek blessings from Shiva, he did not appear before them and instead took the form of a buffalo. Bheema decided to play a trick which ended with a fight between the buffalo and himself - he tore apart the buffalo into pieces and where the pieces fell the Pandavas later made temples in tribute to Shiva. These temples will be accessible through the trek.
The drive from Dehradun to Sankri is breathtaking. It gives you views of Mussoorie, Naitwar, Nowgaon, Mori, and Purola. It is perhaps one of the best drives you can find through the Himalayas until you reach the base camp.
The base camp for the trek is Sankri, this is where we will begin. The maximum altitude we are to reach will be 12,500 ft at the Kedarkantha peak. This trek is an easy-to-moderate one with difficulty depending on the season you are undertaking it in; Autumn and Summer is ideal for those who are not familiar with trekking and wish to start. Winters, however, can be slightly more challenging and only experienced trekking should cover this stretch during the Monsoon season.
It is a 6-day trek with the distance covered between campsites being short. However, with the total distance to cover being 23 km, it might be slightly tricky for those who are not physically fit.
● Day 1 : arriving sankri
Altitude: 6,400 feet
220 km drive - approx 10 hours
Trekkers will be picked from Dehradun at 6:30am in a vehicle
Expected arrival time at Sankri – 5:00 pm
BSNL network erratic
● Day 2: sankri to juda ka talab
Altitude: 6,400 feet to 8,100 feet
4 kms trek, approx 5 hours
The trail passes through dense pine forests, maple trees, few streams and finally
opens out to beautiful meadows
Stay in tents
● Day3: juda-ka-talab to base camp
Altitude: 8,100 feet to 10,500 feet
4 kms trek, approx 2.5 hours
Most of today’s trail is on a ridge, under oak trees
You will also pass through some meadows where you can spot shepherd log huts
Peaks :- Bandarpoonch, Swargarohini, Kala Nag and Ranglana stand among the others
Stay in tents
● Day 4:- base camp to kedarkantha summit
Altitude: 10,500 feet to 12,500 feet to 8,100feet
6 kms trek, approx 7 hours
Spend some time at the summit and descend back to the base camp by noon for
Post lunch, descend down to juda-ka-talab
Reach juda-ka-talab by evening
Stay in tents
● Juda-ka-talab to sankri
Altitude: 8100ft- 6400ft
● Sankri to deharadun (drive
Distance: 220 km drive, approx 10 hours
You will be dropped at Dehradun station in a Tata Sumo or a similar vehicle
An altitude of about 6,000 ft is gained from the starting point. The climb is steady the first three days and only gets challenging while traversing the summit. The last two days are a steady descent back. Please refer to the detailed itinerary for more.
Dehradun to Sankri(6,400 feet) (drive 220 km 10-11 hrs)
Sankri to Juda ka talab(8,100 feet) 4 kms trek, approx 5 hours
Juda ka talab to Kedarkantha base(10,500 feet) 4 kms trek, approx 2.5 hours
Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha peak( 12,500 feet), descend to juda-ka-talab, 6 kms trek, approx 7 h
juda-ka-talab to sankri to Dehradun
● Transportation (Dehradun to Dehradun)
● Food: Day-1 Dinner to Day-5 Breakfast.
● Stay at Sankri basis on availability. Trippel Sharing. Twin Sharing Based on availability and extra charge depending upon season / rush.
● Accommodation: Four Nights Camping during the trek on Sharing Basis (Twin Sharing)
● Tents, Mattresses, and Sleeping Bags
● Toilet Tents – Dry Pit Style
● Kitchen Tent, Equipment & All Rations
● Trek Leader & Assistant Trek Leader / Local Guide
● Support team
● Porters / Mules (for Equipment)
● Mountaineering Course Qualified Trek Leader
● Local Support Team for Geographical Intelligence
● Crampons / Micro-spikes to the Trekkers (if Require)
● Mules or porter to carry personal luggage.
● Any kind of emergency evacuation charges.
● If anyone left the trek against the schedule (means not able to complete or any
reason of dropping)
● Any extra demand like personal guide, personal food, personal potter, vehicle
● Anything not specifically mentioned under the Inclusion.
● Insurance, any type of Medical Expense and Rescue Charges.
● Any type of Personal Expense
● Normally hiking trail expect to carry your personal luggage on your own, if you wish to offload your backpack, you can give it to Mule.
● Charges of offloading backpack:-INR 1200/- if you make an online payment, 10 days in advance.
● INR 1500/- if you inform us after reaching Sankri
● The backpack cannot weigh more than 11 kgs. Backpack should have waterproof cover.
Suitcases/trolleys/ bags will not be allowed.
● There is regular bus service from Delhi to Dehradun, from Delhis ISBT Kashmere Gate.
● We would suggest you to take only government buses from ISBT Kashmere Gate. Private buses ply from outside ISBT and they are not trust worthy.
● Usually buses drop you at Dehradun ISBT. From there you have to come to Dehradun.
● Take the overnight train to Dehradun from Delhi
● Nandadevi Express - Train no: 12205 (Departure 11:50pm; Arrival - 5:40am)
● Dehradun Express - Train no: 12687 (Departure - 9:10pm; Arrival - 5:00am)
Jolly Grant Airport is the airport serving Dehradun, located about 25 km from the city.
There is a daily flight from Delhi to Dehradun
At Mori, which is 20km before Sankri.
Poor Network at Sankri (only BSNL & Jio) and no network on the Trek.